Do you dream of being an influencer?
How about a “catfluencer?”
Yep, it’s a thing.
And it’s a purr-fect goal!
Many of the most popular pet influencers online are cats that have amassed millions of followers.
Famous felines like Waffles, Nala, Venus, and the late great Grumpy Cat have brought countless smiles to social media users around the world.
Are you hoping to make your cat the next major internet sensation?
If so, one of the best ways to get more views, likes, and followers is by using relevant cat hashtags.
In this article, I’ll reveal the 130 of the best cat hashtags for Instagram (and other platforms) to help your posts gain more traction, alongside a few tips on why and how to use these cat tags to achieve the best results.
Read on, future feline influencer!
Interested in Instagram cat hashtags? You might also like these:
- 145+ Best Cocktail Quotes for Instagram
- 535 Hashtags for Nature Photography
- 450 Hashtags for Instagram Reels
- 85 Statuses and Quotes about Being Alone
- 145 Awesome Hashtags about Friends
Popular Cat Hashtags for Instagram
Trending Instagram Cat Hashtags
More Cat Tags for Instagram
Why and How to Use Cat Tags for Instagram
You’ve seen them a million times, but what exactly do hashtags do?
Hashtags started in 2007 on Twitter (a brand-new platform at the time).
The idea was to better organize the framework and help users find the content they were interested in. It was also easier to find and participate in conversations that mattered to them.
Fast-forward to 2010, when Instagram adopted hashtags, and 2013, when Facebook jumped on the hashtag bandwagon.
Now the humble hashtag is one of the most powerful ways to connect people online — think of recent movements like #MeToo or #BlackLivesMatter.
Hashtags (in this case, cat hashtags for Instagram) help to draw attention to your posts. But they also go a step further by encouraging users to interact, which is key to building your audience.
So then, how do you use cat Instagram hashtags effectively? Here are some tips that will help.
1. Less Is More
Resist the temptation to #cram #as #many #hashtags #as #possible #into #every #post.
It detracts from your message and makes your post less readable, which is not going to win you any followers.
Instead, choose just a few of the most relevant hashtags to include with each post.
You can sprinkle them throughout your post or add them at the end — both methods lead to the same result.
Remember, your goal with hashtags is to add value to your posts, not bombard users with an endless string of search terms.
2. Keep It Short & Sweet
Even if you have #theabsolutecutestpersiancatinthewholeentireworld, hashtags that are too long are, well, too long to read!
Users will get cross-eyed trying to decipher overly long hashtags — if they bother to read them at all (TL;DR).
The best hashtags are single words or short phrases. They should be succinct and memorable to encourage sharing and comments.
Research suggests that hashtags between 21 and 24 characters perform the best on Instagram.
And although you’re allowed up to 30 hashtags per post, experts recommend between nine and eleven for maximum engagement.
3. Use Searchable Cat Tags
Another problem with long hashtags like #theabsolutecutestpersiancatinthewholeentireworld is that few (if any) people will actually be searching for that term.
Remember, the main goal of hashtags is to help people find your content, so you need to make it as easy as possible.
Hashtags that are too long, clever, or obscure won’t help your marketing efforts because no one will be looking for them.
4. Use Detailed Cat Tags
While you don’t want to choose obscure hashtags, you also don’t want to choose hashtags that are too broad or general.
For example, there are already over 124 million posts that use the hashtag #cats.
Although it’s relevant, you’ll face so much competition that your posts will get buried within seconds.
Instead, use hashtags that are more detailed or specific. You might have more luck (and less competition) with hashtags like #blackcat or #MaineCoonMonday.
5. Check Out Your Competition
Hashtags aren’t just for building your own audience. You can also use them to “spy” on your competitors and get ideas you may not have thought of.
Use Instagram’s “search” feature and change the results to “tags.”
You’ll find a long list of cat hashtags for Instagram that are currently trending. You may also find related terms (for example, #instaanimals or #purrfect) that would work well for your marketing efforts.
Another way to find the best hashtags is to see which tags the top cat influencers are using.
Review their reels and posts and see which hashtags they’re using to gain more followers.
6. Create Your Own Hashtags
Your cat is more than just another cute face — he’s a new brand waiting to happen!
As you start growing your audience, consider some hashtags that will become uniquely yours (and your cat’s).
For example, the legendary Grumpy Cat had a whole slew of original hashtags. These included #GrumpyCat, #TeamGrumpy, and #GrumpyCatForever.
How could you use an idea like this to market your favourite feline?
Bonus: 50 Famous Instagram Cat Quotes
Cat hashtags for Instagram are only one part of the puzzle. Once you attract new viewers, you have to reel them in with some funny and memorable cat quotes.
Here are 50 famous cat quotes guaranteed to convert viewers to followers!
1. “Cats are inquisitive, but they hate to admit it.” — Mason Cooley
2. “Dogs come when they’re called; cats take a message and get back to you later.” — Professor Mary Bly
3. “Cats have enormous patience with the limitations of humankind.” — Cleveland Amory
4. “‘Meow’ means ‘woof’ in cat.” — George Carlin
5. “Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.” — Robert A. Heinlein
6. “In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.” — Terry Pratchett
7. “I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior.” — Hippolyte Taine
8. “What greater gift than the love of a cat.” — Charles Dickens
9. “As every cat owner knows, nobody owns a cat.” — Ellen Perry Berkeley
10. “Cats are connoisseurs of comfort.” — James Herriot
11. “How we behave toward cats here below determines our status in heaven.” — Robert A. Heinlein
12. “You can not look at a sleeping cat and feel tense.” — Jane Pauley
13. “You know how it is with cats: They don’t really have owners, they have staff.” — P.C. Cast
14. “A cat will be your friend, but never your slave.” — Theophile Gautier
15. “Cats choose us; we don’t own them.” — Kristin Cast
16. “One cat just leads to another.” — Ernest Hemingway
17. “The phrase ‘domestic cat’ is an oxymoron.” — George Will
18. Those who’ll play with cats must expect to be scratched.” — Miguel de Cervantes
19. “I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul.” — Jean Cocteau
20. “If cats could talk, they wouldn’t.” — Nan Porter
21. “Way down deep, we’re all motivated by the same urges. Cats have the courage to live by them.” — Jim Davis
22. “People who don’t like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.” — Unknown
23. “A kitten is, in the animal world, what a rosebud is in the garden.” — Robert Southey
24. “Time spent with cats is never wasted.” — Sigmund Freud
26. “I love my cats more than I love most people. Probably more than is healthy.” — Amy Lee
27. “No matter how much cats fight, there always seem to be plenty of kittens.” — Abraham Lincoln
28. “Cats will outsmart dogs every time.” — John Grogan
29. “Sleep is like a cat: It only comes to you if you ignore it.” — Gillian Flynn
30. “To err is human, to purr is feline.” — Robert Byrne
31. “The problem with cats is that they get the same exact look whether they see a moth or an axe-murderer.” — Paula Poundstone
32. “I had been told that the training procedure with cats was difficult. It’s not. Mine had me trained in two days.” — Bill Dana
33. “A cat has absolute emotional honesty: human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings, but a cat does not.” — Ernest Hemingway
34. “A cat can be trusted to purr when she is pleased, which is more than can be said for human beings.” — William Ralph Inge
35. “The smallest feline is a masterpiece.” — Leonardo da Vinci
36. “Cats can work out mathematically the exact place to sit that will cause most inconvenience.” — Pam Brown
37. “Kittens are angels with whiskers.” — Alexis Flora Hope
38. “There is, incidentally, no way of talking about cats that enables one to come off as a sane person.” — Dan Greenberg
39. “Cats, like men, are flatterers.” — Walter Savage Landor
40. “Heaven will never be Paradise unless my cats are there waiting for me.” — Unknown
41. “Unlike the dog, the cat’s personality is never bet on a human’s. He demands acceptance on his own terms.” — Lloyd Alexander
42. “Cats have it all – admiration, an endless sleep, and company only when they want it.” — Rod McKuen
43. “A cat is an example of sophistication minus civilization.” — Unknown
44. “Artists like cats; soldiers like dogs.” — Desmond Morris
45. “I have lived with several Zen masters — all of them cats.” — Eckhart Tolle
46. “Never try to out-stubborn a cat.” — Robert A. Heinlein
47. “When a cat adopts you, there is nothing to be done about it except to put up with it until the wind changes.” — T.S. Eliot
48. “Like all pure creatures, cats are practical.” — William S. Burroughs
49. “I believe cats to be spirits come to earth. A cat, I am sure, could walk on a cloud without coming through.” — Jules Verne
50. “Cats seem to go on the principle that it never does any harm to ask for what you want.” — Joseph Wood Krutch
Hashtag Cat: Get More Views for Your Cat Posts
By this point, I hope you have everything you need to start gaining traction as a cat influencer!
With these cat hashtags for Instagram, TikTok, and other platforms behind you, it shouldn’t be long before you see your following begin to grow.
So what are you waiting for?! Choose the best cat tags and cat quotes that are relevant for your kitty and start posting!